Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Pickle Pickle

Ohhh, to eat the crispy, mouthwatering snacks that are a veritable symbol of our culture, even though they are steeped in non-nutritious chemicals and carcinogens. If you haven't already, make a point at the grocery store to read the labels on the various pickle jars. You won't lose your hankering but you'll be very disappointed. Pickles equal poison. 

If I may say it, what a pickle!!!

The power of networking comes into play here. Pickling vegetables and fruits has been a tradition in the American countryside for hundreds of years, and people love to share their family recipes as well as culinary explorations. Talk to people and googlegooglegoogle! You can learn to make your own pickles just to your liking! One inspiring and useful site can be found below, the Vegan Reader:


Alternatively, you can check out your local health food shops. I got my first jar of junk-free pickles made by Woodstock Foods. Unfortunately, while committed to sustainable and healthful agricultural practices, they are not vegan. The pickles were pretty good, though. 





If you're new to the vegan lifestyle, as I am, you'll want to look at their FOOD LINGO 101 page for explanations of food words you need to understand:


I will leave you with a tidbit of non-useful information. Do you want to learn to say "cucumber" in Hebrew? It's a fun word to say over and over. You'll feel so accomplished. Okay, let's start: 

MEH...
LAH...
FEH...
FAWN

MEH-LAH-FEH-FAWN!

מְלָפְפוֹן


Good crunching!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Pickles. My vice, my joy. We have several delightful little companies that make them here (and they're not full of terrible stuff)

    I'm tempted to make a few jars myself this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of pickling! I never pickled anything in my life, but now I see the world as a place filled with potential pickles! This winter WILL be the WINTER OF THE PICKLE.

    ReplyDelete